The COVID-19 pandemic has boosted the rise of digital technology into an unprecedented pace and most specially catapulted online technology in instant fame. People have seen how digital technology works wonders in the absence of physical workforce in the workplace. The business sectors continue with the work from home arrangements, online banking and trading have reached overnight popularity, business meetings have become a virtual thing, learning without going to a physical school has become possible and endless possibilities of what technology can do.
Indeed, the need has arisen!
Education 4.0 being the offshoot of the 4th Industrial Revolution is now creating an even greater noise in the academic field. It is education’s response to the demands of the future of work. Education 4.0 focuses on the utilization of smart technology, robotics, artificial intelligence and the internet of things in learning. Moreover, the growing development of genetics, 3d printing, biotechnology and nanotechnology makes Education 4.0 all the more highly relevant.
To prepare students for the future of work, education 4.0 has become the newest addition to the pedagogy of the most competitive higher education institutions. The 4th industrial revolution is creating future jobs that do not exist yet and at the same time, it threatens the extinction of other jobs that can be done by machines. The digitization and automation in the workplace are becoming the most viable and cheaper options for companies. The landscape of the workplace is drastically changing, thus requiring proactive adaptation from the government, corporations and individuals.
According to OECD, 14% of jobs in OECD countries are most likely to be automated while 32% are most probably being partially automated. This tells us that people with low skills are at a higher risk of losing their jobs. Jobs that require physical presence are more likely from lower-skilled workers such as transport, retail, construction and manufacturing.
Education 4.0 plays a major role in shaping a highly-skilled future workforce. Its purpose is to keep students’ skills relevant in a rapidly changing world. It challenges the conventionality of teaching and learning. Education 4.0 is a radical approach that is shifting its focus to revolutionary styles of teaching and learning. Futurereadyedu.com presented a list of few trends in the evolution of learning as follows.
- Remote learning. Even post-COVID-19, remote learning shall continue, and more e-learning tools and application will facilitate the
- self-paced, learn anytime, anywhere scenario.
- Personalized Learning. More Artificial Intelligence (IA) software are being developed to cater to personalized learning. One example of this a Learning Assessment Platform which was introduced by McGraw-Hill. The application utilizes an adaptive questioning technique that identifies the strength and weaknesses of the learner in a certain topic.
- Education Tools. Students are given the freedom in choosing the educational tools that will meet his/her lifestyle, they can opt for blended learning, flip classroom, BYOD (Bring Your Own Device), etc.
- Project-based learning. Students should develop their creativity, communication and collaboration to become more globally competitive in the workplace. Project-based school activities are more highlighted rather than theoretical lecture.
- Field-specific Experience. Schools are now realizing that students should be exposed more to real-life rather than in-classroom lectures. The curriculum now includes onsite learning, internships, on the job training, etc.
- Data Analysis. AI (Artificial Intelligence) in education will play a great role in the life of students in terms of analyzing data, statistical computation, predicting trends, etc.
- Changes in Exam Patterns. The traditional Q and A examination will no longer be relevant in the Education 4.0 rather the weight assessments will be more focused on practical applications and soft skills of the students.
The drivers of change will continue to transform the way people live and work. Education 4.0 is the answer to this revolutionary era in education.